Aaron K limitedslip.net


more forgotten posts: fuel system

In the process of reinforcing the rear sway bar brackets, I had to remove the fuel tank for safety (welding nearby). Of course, when I did, it was found to be not only full of rust (not surprising given the car is nearly 30 years old), and the stock lifting pump inside had broken off one of the power leads and was no longer functioning. Not to mention the in-tank filter was nearly completely clogged:


This probably explains while the external high pressure pump was whining pretty badly.

Well, couldn't put it back together in that state, so I derusted the tank with electrolysis (fun, and safe!), changed the fuel filter, removed the old lifter pump, old external pump, and installed a new in tank high flow TRE pump to replace both of them. Pretty straight forward, only complication was dealing with the large 12mm fuel line that ran between the two pumps. On the tank side, a new barbed fitting was brazed into the old large line to ease hooking up the new pump. On the outside, a reducing barbed fitting was used.


You can see the new brass fitting in the top pipe. Ignore the short chunk of fuel line on the return line - I accidently tore a small hole in the pipe removing the support between the new. Not a big deal, as it isn't under much pressure.

I actually got this all together and working properly when I discovered I should have used submersible fuel line and not regular fuel injection line. The submersible line is design for fuel contact both inside and outside. While I had it out, I also added some fuel resistant padding around the fuel pump (instead of the unknown foam that came with it). I'll definitely need to keep an eye on this for any issues down the road, but it can easily be inspected by just removing the fuel gauge sending unit and looking into the tank.

And, this pump is good enough for turbo levels of power. :)


Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

Trackbacks are disabled.