Aaron K limitedslip.net

19Jun/130

On to the suspension

Finally got the car up on jack stands and tore out the rear suspension entirely:

IMG_0144_resized

The subframe isn't on the bench because, well, there is any room left in the shop anywhere. Trailing arm bushings looked OK, but the subframe bushings were completely useless. The inside part of the bushing completely separated, in fact, I had to pull it off the car separately after the subframe was removed.

Shocks seem to have some life in them, they must have been replaced at some point, hopefully can get a bit of money for them.

Started putting the new shock assemblies together when I discovered I completely forgot to order new bump stops. The existing ones are falling off:

IMG_0146_resized

 

This is the new H&R spring and Bilstein sport setup. The upper/lower spring pads were reusable, but I didn't know that until I took it apart. Not being very expensive, I used all new rubber on the new assemblies.

Also not shown are the rear brakes I found in the junkyard, the last piece of the brake setup. They are off of a 1994 540i - larger diameter vented rotors that just bolt up.

Once the rear is back on, I can get this car turned around to work on the front end. The shop is so small I pretty much have to work on the garage door side only. Someday...

Filed under: BMW 633 CSi No Comments
27Jun/130

subframe rework

The plan was to lower the car a bit (but not drop it on the ground or anything), so I knew it would be nice to remove some of the recently added negative camber that would result, so the Ireland Engineering trailing arm camber/toe plates were welded in and slotted. This was so much easier with a electric die grinder and a nice carbide cutting bit. So much faster than trying to grind them down or file by hand. Here they are tack welded in place.



IMG_0159

The inner camber adjustment plate created an interference issue in the top most position. I cut a section of the mount out. I decided not to reinforce it, but will have to keep an eye on it. This seemed to be the accepted way of doing this with other e28 subframes.

IMG_0165

Half of the old subframe bushings were already out (fell out), and given the size of them, I opted to cut the metal portion out with a sawzall and hammer it out. Pressed in new AKG poly subframe bushings:

IMG_0169

One piece done, on to the control arms!

Filed under: BMW 633 CSi No Comments